Interview with an Iranian-American

Today I have the opportunity to interview a colleague of mine, an Iranian-American. Let's hear a little about her views on Iran and the whole Middle East situation.

So give me a little background on your family's Iranian heritage.
My parents were from Tehran, and my dad's side is from Ghazvin. My dad came to America in his 20's and my mom came over after she married my dad.

What do you think of the government of Iran?

Well, I disagree with many of the government's idea of a theocracy. I believe in a more democratic government. I don't like the way how the Ayatollah's are chosen. I really don't like the hostile relations between the US and Iran, and I really hate how Iran supports Hezbollah and Assad, who's a monster. The people don't all
agree with the government. Obviously there are some who still do. The younger people are trying to rebel by wearing shorter shirts, and being more 'revealing' than before.

How are the people and environment?I like the people. Everyone's really nice in Iran, and they are very embracing. There's a good sense of community surprisingly. Families are also really big. Usually, a bunch of people will come to pick you up at an airport.

What do you think needs to change in Iran?

There should be a democracy. Social norms should be changed to like pre-revolution Iran, where girls can dress however they want. Also, women definitely deserve more rights. However, women aren't as oppressed as people may think. It's not as bad as in Saudi Arabia though...

What do you think of the future of Iran?

I think that eventually there will be another revolution in Iran. Things will get better! I am hoping for the best. There are small signs of change, but hopefully they will lead to bigger things.


Comments